On land given by Stephen Jones, from his farm, construction was started in 1898 for a church building by the Advent Conference of the Catskills. Rev. W.C. Churchill helped with the plans and construction of the building, along with members of the community. At the cost of $564.12 the structure was finished in the fall of 1900 and the building was dedicated on December 31, 1900. Eighteen charter members are recorded. Descendants of several families are members of PBBC today.
In 1926 Trustees were elected to obtain insurance on the building.
With the dedicated effort of a number of faithful Christians, ministers from the village would come to hold Sunday afternoon services. Classes also met for fellowship and training: A young married couple’s group, youth group, and ladies aid among them. The result was that the Church remained active. It is noted that the Advents held occasional conferences in the years 1910 to 1926.
1944 brought “considerable discussion“ of organizing the congregation as a church body. And in October of 1947, a constitution was drawn up, with the assistance of the New York Rural Church Institute. Pines Brook Community Church was formed. It is recorded that it carried the names of “a goodly number of both children and adults who wished to make this their church home”. Layman Glenn Peterson served as pastor until 1951.
After several years of discussion and planning the Pines Brook Community Church voted to request that the Avent Christian Conference of the Catskills deed the property to the Pines Brook Community Church. The deed was received on January 2, 1955.
From the summer of 1951 to 1963 young men from Baptist Bible Seminary filled the pulpit. It was during this time that Meryl Whitbeck came as a full-time pastor for a couple of years.
January 12, 1964, the vote was made to change the name to Pines Brook Baptist Church.
March 1967 brought Pastor Daniel McCarthy who served as Pastor until November 1976. During this time the church building was moved toward the schoolhouse, the width of the building, gaining a basement and larger entrance foyer.
March 1977 Rev. Lauren (Larry) Maxson came to PBBC where he served for the next 17 years. An extensive building project was completed during this time with a new auditorium, baptismal, pastor’s study, nursery, and a full basement to include Sunday school rooms and fellowship hall.
In April 1996 Carl Butler answered the call to Pastor at PBBC. After 20 years of faithful ministry, he completed his service on June 4, 2016.
On October 1, 2017, Rev. Christopher Bosnyak accepted the pastorate. We have been blessed as he leads the ministry with the vision that God has given him.
Information obtained from PBBC records, articles written by Arlene Budine McLachlan and Kathryn Hoyt Bartlett, and contributions of Lawrence Gifford to the book ’Walton Yesteryears’ by Frank and Helen Lane.